For anyone who loves to gather around the table and play games with loved ones, a card table is a necessary piece of home furniture. Card tables are designed for game-playing and make the ideal addition to any party or get-together. This type of table will provide a place for players to gather around, get comfortable, and have fun.
The main characteristic of a card table that sets it apart from your average table is foldability. For convenient storage and portability, card tables can be folded up. Typically, the legs of the table fold in, with some models featuring a folding tabletop as well. With the legs folded, you can easily transport the table and store it in confined spaces, such as a closet, a shelf in your garage, or even under a bed. The legs of a card table are typically quite tall and narrow, which saves space and cuts down on the weight of the table.
Card tables are designed to accommodate many players. Everyone on your guest list should be able to pull up a chair and enjoy the game! Tables come in many different sizes and shapes, so it’s important to find the right one to suit your needs.
From the most simplistic design to the most intricate, there are endless options of card table available to choose from on the market today. Below, you’ll find an overview of the main types of card tables on the market today. From a simple square table to one in the shape of an octagon, these card table varieties offer something for everyone.
Square Card Table
For a classic card table, check out a simple square option. Most of what you’ll find on the market today when it comes to card tables are square and foldable. Square card tables come in many different designs and are easy to fit into virtually any space.
Main Features of a Square Card Table
Card tables in the shape of a square are a popular choice among consumers and offer the following key features and benefits:
- The tabletop is in the shape of a perfect square, making this type of table convenient to fit into confined spaces and cramped rooms.
- A square table is great for two-and four-person card games or games in which you’re playing two against one.
- Square card tables are the most simplistic option of card table and, therefore, one of the most affordable. You can find a square table to stay within virtually any budget.
- Square card tables are typically small and lightweight, making them quite easy to move and put into storage. This makes them a smart choice of starter furniture for college students and young adults who are always on the move.
- The foldable legs that most of this type of table feature allow the table to be conveniently collapsed and made compact. Once the legs are folded, you can easily stack the table, box it up, place it on a shelf in a closet or the garage, and even slide it under a bed.
Downsides of Square Card Tables
Square card tables are a classic and convenient option. But, that doesn’t mean that this type of table is perfect. Think over the following downsides to square card tables before making your purchase:
- Square card tables are typically not very large. For card games with more than four people, the players will likely feel cramped. If you like to host large games with many players, a square table likely won’t offer the amount of space that you need.
- Square tables often have sharp corners, which can be dangerous for small children in some households.
Square Card Table Examples
Below, you’ll find a selection of awesome square card tables to start off your furniture hunt.
Cosco 34” Square Top Folding Portable Table
This simple, sturdy, and reasonably priced card table is available on Amazon.com. With folding legs and a lightweight structure, this table is quite easy to move. It’s suitable for outdoor use, so you can employ this table for your next backyard get-together.
32” Square Folding Cards Table
For a simple folding card table with a clean, classy look, consider this 32” table on Wayfair.com. With three options of wood finish (cherry, fruitwood, and oak), you can select the option that will look the best in your home. The elegant design is foldable and easy to store for your convenience. This table can even work well as a small dining table when you need to accommodate guests.
Round Card Table
A round card table has a tabletop in the shape of a circle and can accommodate a flexible number of people. Due to the fact that this table has no corners, you can have as many players as can pull up a chair!
Main Features of a Round Card Table
Round card tables offer multiple interesting features and perks that you won’t get with other types of tables.
- Many homeowners prefer the look of a round card table to that of a square or rectangular card table. That’s because curved lines and rounded shapes are soft and widely desired in design to create a pleasing aesthetic.
- Round tables can seat a flexible number of players, which is a major plus for party hosts. Without the corners that you have with a square or rectangular table, the number of players who can comfortably pull up a chair is up to you! This also makes round tables great for big family reunions and busy work events.
Downsides of a Round Card Table
Round card tables aren’t ideal for every person and scenario. These negative factors should be taken into account before you select a round card table for purchase:
- Round card tables are typically small in size and don’t provide as much surface space as a rectangular card table. So, it may be more difficult to find space on the table for everyone’s cards, drinks, etc.
- Due to the rounded edges, round card tables can be less convenient to store than square or round card tables. Instead of simply stacking the table against or inside of a square storage box, you may have to find a special place to store this type of table.
Round Card Table Examples
The round card tables listed below are excellent examples and can be purchased at popular online retailers.
Atlantic Poker and Bumper Pool Table
With built-in cup holders and an elegant black felt top, this round card table is a customer favorite. It can be converted into a dining table for added flexibility, and you have the option to hide the felt when a game isn’t in play. While the price tag is relatively high, this poker and bumper pool table is a top-caliber piece of furniture.
Flash Furniture 48” Round Granite White Plastic Folding Table
For a simple, affordable, and folding round card table, check out this option by Flash Furniture on Amazon.com. It seats five to six adults and can hold up to 500 pounds. The classic, versatile white design is ideal for both residential and commercial use. Plus, the top is waterproof and stain resistant, so you can safely use this table outside.
Long Card Table
If you love to host a large number of guests and have a card game with many players, long card table could be the perfect choice for you. Typically in the shape of a rectangle, a long card table will grant you the extra space needed to accommodate a high number of people.
Main Features of a Long Card Table
Long card tables feature the following benefits:
- Card tables with extra length can seat a large number of people. You can even use this type of table for large gatherings, such as Thanksgiving when you’re in a pinch.
- A rectangular card table is a fantastic choice for anyone who has space in their home for a long table. The added surface length will allow your guests to spread out and be comfortable.
- Long card tables can fill out a space for homeowners in need of furniture. This type of table may be just what you need to make a room look complete.
Drawbacks of a Long Card Table
A long card table isn’t the best choice for everyone. Consider these drawbacks before making your purchase.
- Long card tables aren’t the best option for people who have limited space in their homes. The extra length can make a room feel tight and cramped.
- Due to their length, long card tables can be heavy and difficult to move. So, transporting this table variety will be trickier than with a square or round table.
Long Card Table Examples
The following long card tables are available online today.
Lifetime 4428 Height Adjustable Folding Table
This budget-friendly and thoughtfully designed card table is a fitting choice for all different needs. Made from durable powder-coated steel and high-density polyethylene, you can trust that this table will last for years to come. Plus, with three height settings, you can set this table up to be at the perfect height for your guests.
Giantex Folding Table
This black rectangular table features foldable legs with feet protectors to keep your floors safe and make storage simple. It’s rust resistant for outdoor use and has a solid steel frame for exceptional durability. This simple long card table is also a fantastic choice for budget-conscious shoppers.
Octagon Card Table
For a unique card table that adds an interesting visual element to your home’s decor, look around for a table in the shape of an octagon. This type of card table offers the perfect combo of form and function for a piece of furniture that truly stands out.
Main Features of an Octagon Card Table
Card tables in the shape of an octagon provide multiple attractive features and will add variety to your furniture collection. Check out the main features of this type of table here:
- The eight sides of this type of card table provide the perfect playing space for as many as eight players. Each player will have their own edge of the table and everyone will be evenly spaced. Players won’t feel cramped or short on space when they pull up a chair to your octagon card table.
- Octagon card tables are often set up with built-in cup holders and chip trays for each player. This is exceptionally convenient and makes playing a game of poker with your friends all the more fun.
- Some octagon card tables have folding legs for easy storage. Once the legs are folded, you can store the table in a garage, slide it under a large bed, or put it into a storage unit.
Drawbacks of an Octagon Card Table
- If you purchase an octagon card table with built-in cup holders and chip trays, the potential other uses for the table are limited. For example, with the chip trays in front of each person at the table, it would be more difficult to use the table for a simple sit-down dinner with multiple guests. Other types of card tables offer the flexibility to use the table in multiple scenarios.
- Octagon card tables are typically among the larger card table options available, so they’re also on the more expensive side. Budget-conscious consumers will want to shop around for less pricey options.
- Due to their large size, octagon card tables require more room in any home, apartment, condo, etc. For those who are short on space, a round or square card table is likely the more appropriate choice.
Octagon Card Table Examples
Octagon card tables are more common than you may expect! Multiple online retailers offer this card table type at a reasonable price, and with a selection of style options.
57” Contemporary Cards Table
This beautiful octagonal card table will be an attractive addition to your home. It’s available in four different wood finishes and eight different upholstery colors so that you can select an option that complements your home decor. The folding legs make moving and storing this table easy while the built-in drink holders will make every game more enjoyable for your players.
52” & XL 60” Octagon Folding Poker Table
Poker fanatics will appreciate this Octagon Folding Poker Table. It comes in five different colors and features durable, washable felt. Each of the eight-player positions has its own built-in cupholder and chip tray so that everyone’s ready for a game of poker. From family game nights to corporate fundraising events, this octagon card table is an awesome piece of furniture.
57” Period Poker Table
This Period Poker Table is in the shape of an octagon and will be a conversation piece in any home. Available in 6 varying wood finishes and eight upholstery color options, you can make this table your own. It has a cup holder for each player, folding legs for easy storage, and a scalloped outside rail for added visual interest.
Card Table and Chairs Set
Some card tables options on the market today come complete with a set of chairs. This is a convenient and cost-efficient choice for many people, especially those that are furnishing a home or residence on a budget. Or, if you need to find a card table quickly for a party or social function, a complete table and chairs set is an awesome option.
Most card table and chair sets come with four chairs included. This is the perfect amount to fill out your tables and play a game with friends. With many of this type of furniture set, you can easily find matching chairs sold separately and purchase more if desired.
Main Features of a Card Table and Chairs Set
Card table and chairs sets offer the following fantastic features:
- Purchasing the table and chairs as a set saves money because retailers typically offer the set at a lower price than what it would cost to buy each item separately. For budget-conscious homeowners, this option makes sense financially and is a great way to save some cash.
- If home decor isn’t your forte, a table and chairs set is a convenient option for you. The table and chairs are guaranteed to coordinate and look good together–all you have to do is decide where to put them in your home!
- Card table and chairs sets come in many varieties. So, whether you want a square or a round table, a black or a white table, etc., you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for.
If you would rather make all of the furniture choices relating to your card table, a table with included chairs is likely not the option for you. It would be a more fitting choice to find a table you love, then hunt around for chairs that coordinate, both with the table and your home decor. This gives you complete power over your home’s aesthetic!
Drawbacks of a Card Table and Chairs Set
Despite the benefits listed above, there are downsides to opting for a table and chairs set.
- Without the freedom to select the chairs that accommodate the table yourself, you may miss out on the opportunity to find special furniture for your home. The chairs that come in table and chairs sets are typically quite simple and may not be the statement piece you’re looking for.
- Card table and chairs sets typically feature a modestly sized table and four chairs. If you’re seeking out a card table that will seat a high number of people, you should look for a long or octagonal card table.
Card Table and Chairs Set Examples
For examples of card table and chairs sets, check out these options that are available online today:
5 Piece 36” Square Folding Table Set
For a simple table set that you can use in a variety of situations, consider this option on Wayfair.com. The plain square table is foldable, making it quite easy to store and transport. The table measures 36 inches by 36 inches, which is a reasonable size for the price. Four foldable chairs are included, and the entire set is in a plain white color that will coordinate with virtually any home decor.
Flash Furniture 5-Piece Black Folding Card Table and Chair Set
For a budget-friendly table set, consider this folding card table with included chairs on Amazon.com. The sleek black design is simple to transport and put into storage, making it a fantastic choice for outdoor games, large family gatherings that need extra seating, and more. The four included folding chairs feature sponge foam padding for added comfort, and the table has a thick top for durability.
XL Series Folding Card Table and Fabric Padded Chair Set
This highly-rated table and chair set from XL Series on Amazon.com provide the ideal combination of sturdiness and comfort. Each of the four included chairs has 1.5 inches of thick built-in padding to keep your guests comfortable. Plus, these padded chairs has triple cross-bracing and quad leg hinging for excellent stability. The set is made with stain-resistant vinyl and fabric upholstery, further increasing the longevity of this product. With multiple color options, you can select a style that will mesh perfectly with your home decor.
If you’re a big fan of playing poker, consider purchasing a card table designed just for your favorite game. Poker tables are large card tables that are all ready for your next game of poker.
Main Features of a Poker Table
Poker tables offer these desirable features:
- A poker table is not only functional, but also visually interesting. It can act as a conversation piece in your basement, den, or game room. Your guests will love gathering around this table for a game at your next dinner party!
- A poker table is the most expensive variety of card table listed in this article. This is to be expected; while most of the other options have quite simple designs, a poker table comes complete with what you need to play a real game of poker. Plus, while other types of card tables may be constructed from low-quality materials, a poker table is built to last.
Drawbacks of a Poker Table
Before you go to buy a poker table, keep these notable downsides in mind:
- Poker tables are bulkier than other types of card tables. This is to be expected, as a poker table is already set up for a game. However, this also means that a poker table may not fit in small homes, apartments, or condos. Also, if your home does have the space to accommodate a poker table, the large structure will be inconvenient to move while not in use, so it will likely need to be a permanent fixture in your home.
- As aforementioned, poker tables can be quite pricey, especially compared to simple varieties of card table. So, a poker table is likely not the best option of card table for budget-conscious homeowners.
- If you’d like to be able to use your card table for a variety of purposes, not just for playing games of poker, you’ll want to consider other options. Poker tables are built for, predictably, the game of poker, and wouldn’t make a great back-up dining table as some other types of card tables would.
Poker Table Examples
If you’re seeking out a great poker table to make your next party truly special, check out these options available online today:
10 Player Poker Table by Barrington Billiards Company
This authentic Barrington 10-player Poker table provides a true casino experience with its high-grade blue felt design. 10 inlaid metal cup holders add to the fun of this great poker table, as your guests will be able to enjoy a drink and a game at the same time. This poker table has a convenient foldable design that enables you to more easily store it when needed. Additionally, the metal frame and legs of this Barrington table ensure stability so that all you have to worry about is winning!
Lancaster 10 Player Casino Style Folding Poker Game Table
With seating for up to 10 people, you can have a blast with plenty of guests at your next party with the Lancaster 10 Player Casino Style Folding Poker Game Table, available at Amazon.com. The perimeter of this long table features inlaid LED lights for a casino-style look. This table features high grade felt and a cushioned rail for the best possible player experience. Plus, 10 built-in cup holders are sure to be loved by your party guests.
84” L Charleston Poker Table Set
This Charleston Poker Table set from Barrington Billiards Company is a well-rounded and reasonably priced poker table option, and it’s available on Wayfair.com. Featuring high grade felt and padded rails, players can settle in and feel comfortable while playing a game at this table. Plus, built-in cup holders and a sturdy metal frame add to the overall quality of this table.
Lisa has a Bachelor’s of Science in Communication Arts. She is an experienced blogger who enjoys researching interesting facts, ideas, products, and other compelling concepts. In addition to writing, she likes photography and Photoshop.